Wsus client not reporting but updating
I migrated our WSUS 3.0 SP2 to a new server over the weekend.I updated the settings in the domain GPO to point to the new server, »v_srv30. I also migrated our help desk system to the same server. What I didn't realize was that WSUS still used port 80 for communications even with 8530 set up (at least according to what I've read) for reporting client status.I also use GPOs to assign computers to groups in WSUS.A while ago I noticed more and more computers "Not reporting for 30 days or more" and I ignored it because computers were still talking to WSUS and downloading the approved updates.
We are also tried to run new 2016 WSUS server but situation did not changed. Windows 10 1709 (16299.309) (WSUS is reporting 10.0.16299.248) Windows 2016 (14393.2125) We have around 150 clients with this issue. WSUS server is reporting that clients need updates but clients are not getting any. Some clients are not reporting back but they are reachable. If I click the box Windows checks for updates but never displays updates and eventually the message reappears and I can click the button again.